IPO8 Locks up

IPO8 Locks up

Postby kevink1955 » August 30th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Sam, thanks for the fast return of the units that failed during the firmware upgrade, they are factory upgraded to iPIO-8 v1.21.105 and I am having a problem.

The units will stay linked to each other some times for 24 hours, sometimes for an hour or less before 1 of the units locks up. When a unit locks up I can no longer access the web interface but I can ping it and get a reply. There is no pattern to the lock ups and it happens with both units but usuly not at the same time. When 1 unit locks up I can still access the web interface on the other unit and the remote status is red.

The only way to get a locked up unit back on line is to power cycle it. They are both on online UPS systems so bad power is not a problem Any Ideas??

Also, can you explain the new auto update option and the reconnect check box.

Thanks Kevin
kevink1955

Re: IPO8 Locks up

Postby DP_Sam » August 31st, 2012, 3:34 pm

When the indication on the working unit is red, that means it can not communicate with the remote unit.
At least your failure is consistant. (The remote can not see the network)

Unfortunately, I can not be sure why a unit dissapears from your network. Can you tell me more about the network setup? Are the units on the same LAN or through a router? Is there a Virtual LAN established through the router? What kind of traffic is on the network? (video streaming and the like?)

The standard unit will transmit the status of only the changed input from unit 1 to unit 2 when the change is made.
The autoupdate is in minutes and will make unit 1 update the status of all programmed inputs to unit , even if there was no chage from the last update.

This can keep a connection active, or be used to make one unit take charge when multiple control methods get used.

If you prefer you can contact me directly.
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Postby kevink1955 » August 31st, 2012, 5:05 pm

Sam, thanks for the reply

The units are on the same LAN linked via microwave. There is some heavy traffic caused by security video traffic but it does not seem to effect any of the other devices on the LAN.

When the IPIO-8 came back from service I had them running in my office for a week connected to my desktop switch with no problem, as soon as I deployed them the problem started. As I said prevously once a unit locks up you can no longer access the web interface and it no longer transmits input status changes to the remote, also the remote LED blinks indicating the lost connection and it drops output 8 that I have set as a linked indicator.

The unit can be pinged while it is locked up, ping response time is about 20ms.

Is there any chance that another service (HP DirectJet) using port 9100 could cause this?

Any Ideas, let me know. I will be back on site Tuesday but am monitoring the system remotely and had them reboot another lock up this morning.

Thanks Kevin
kevink1955

Postby DP_Sam » September 6th, 2012, 9:36 am

Port 9100 is usually not being used, but you can program the ipio8 units to use another port if your HP protocol is in use.
It is possible, if the HP protocol attempts to attach to the iPIO-8 on port 9100, it could cause an issue.
Less likely is broadcast traffic. Is ther alot of broadcast traffic on the segment?
Can you isolate the iPIO-8 from the broadcast?
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Postby kevink1955 » September 6th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Sam

There is a lot of brodcast traffic on the network, not sure if the network switches will let me isolate it but I will check.

Was on site on Tuesday and did the following.

(1) I put an old 10MBS hub (not a switch) between the ipio8's and the main network switches thinking that the IPIO8 may be having problems negotating speed with the 10-100-1000 switches.

(2) I set the update time to 1 minute, it was prevously blank. The update on reconnect has always been checked.

Both sites (4 units) have been up for 48 hours without failure, I will let it run for about a week and see what happens.

Only down side to seting the update time is it now drops my unit linked relay (output 8) once a minute and trips my monitoring system reporting a failure so I disconnected it for now . Is there a way around the cycling on update??

Will check back next week and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks Kevin
kevink1955

Postby kevink1955 » September 11th, 2012, 9:03 pm

What I tryed above did not work, while 1 site has been up since the 5th the other one locked up 1 end on Sunday. I reset it and on Monday the other end locked up.

I reset both today(Tuesday) and changed the port from 9100 that is being used by HP DirectJet (and I do have a lot of HP printers on the network) to 8202. Will see how it goes and report back.

Out of 4 sites I only have problems on 2 of them, the others are rock solid. The network operates in bridge mode (all in the same IP range) so all sites see each others traffic, the only filtering is in the switches at each site but they do pass all broadcast traffic so there is a lot of activity.

Looking back at my monitoring system logs 2 these systems have been having this problem for a long time but did not drop output 8 on lockup, the new firmware always reports the problem so it has become more aparent.
kevink1955

Postby kevink1955 » September 15th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Well so much for my ideas, both sites locked up again today (saturday)

Out of 4 units, 2 are completly locked up (cannot access the web interface)
1 can access the interface but the display does not display properly, I made a minor change and clicked save then reboot. When it came back up the page still did not display properly.
The 4th unit is still running but is connected to nothing as it's mate is locked up.

All 4 units can still be pinged with under 30ms ping times

I do not know what to do next
kevink1955

Postby kevink1955 » September 19th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Still having problems

I have convinced the IT guys to give me tempoary access to the T1 they use for voice transport in place of the Microwave link I am using now. This is only for testing and they will not allow me to remain there forever. I am not convinced this will solve my problem as both networks converge on the asme switch at the main site. Only the remote sites are on diffrent subnets.

Will try it and see what happens.
kevink1955

Postby kevink1955 » September 27th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Well it's been on the voice T-1 network for 7 days without any lockups, what I do not understand is why as the 2 units at the main site (that used to lock up) still see the same network traffic no matter what netwok they are on as they all converge on the same switch. Ony change is the remotes are now on the voice subnet that has a router that blocks the main network traffic so they are only exposed to the voice network traffic.

The only real change is the remote subnets do not see the broadcast and security video server traffic.

Going to let it run for another week as is and if nothing locks up then I may move it back to the main network but put a router inbetween and create a subnet and see what happens. I cannot leave it in the voice t-1 forever as there are plans to move the voice traffic to the microwave and remove the T-1
kevink1955

Postby kevink1955 » October 6th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Just a update, it's been over 2 weeks without a lockup on either site. I am going to try my router idea and see if I can figgure out what these units do not like about my network. It's got to be either the broadcast traffic or the security video servers.
kevink1955

Next

Return to Remote Control (iPIO-8)