iBootbar Autoping

iBootbar Autoping

Postby JimInAlabama » August 9th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I have an iBootbar remotely controlling several pieces of communication equipment. Two of the pieces are a router and switch. The route to the iBoot is through the router and switch. Buttons on a PC screen sometimes get pushed by accident. I have configured an Autoping to go "On-Latch" in the event the router can't be pinged. I have tested this and all is well. What if the router or switch is locked-up? This would require "Cycle-Once". If I change to "Cycle-Once" and the outlet is "Off" what is the result? I could create a second Autoping with longer delay. What is the best solution for this?
JimInAlabama

Re: iBootbar Autoping

Postby DP_Sam » August 12th, 2013, 8:43 am

Thank you for your question. I will try to clarify cycle verses cycle-once.

The cycle option will cycle power when the failcount is reached, and the iBootBar will continue to ping and count failures. When the failcount is reached again, the iBootBar will cycle power again.
So if the connection issue is not solved by the power cycle, the unit will be cycled again to see if it will solve the issue. If it turns out there is an issue with some other piece of equipment causing the issue, then we will continue to cycle power until the other problem is resolved.

The cycle-once option will cycle the power once, and if the ping does not return (reply as valid) then the iBootBar will continue to ping, but not count the failures toward the failcount until it gets a valid ping. So if the connection issue is not solved by cycling power on the attached equipment, we will not continue to cycle power on it. When the issue is resolved (further upstream, or other equipment for example) the ping will return. This will make the iBootBar start counting failed pings should they begin to occur again. Allowing for an automatic cycle-once event to trigger a new power cycle if/when necessary.
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Re: iBootbar Autoping

Postby JimInAlabama » August 12th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Thanks Sam. My main concern was power cycling when the outlet was "off". Sometimes an operator will accidently hit "off" and really ment "cycle". In my case, control is lost until someone goes to the site.

"Cycle once" is the only option for running an ethernet switch. If once doesn't fix it, something else is wrong. I also belive in the light bulb theory. Turn it off and on enough times and it will fail.
JimInAlabama

Return to iBootBar