Where is the TCP control protocol for the iBootBar?

Where is the TCP control protocol for the iBootBar?

Postby Noel Grandin » May 31st, 2011, 9:24 am

Hi

The original iBoot device has a lovely simple TCP remote control protocol.

All I can see in the new iBootBar is SNMP and TELNET access, both of which are horrible to implement in code.

Is there something I'm missing?

Regards, Noel Grandin
Noel Grandin

Re: Where is the TCP control protocol for the iBootBar?

Postby DP_Sam » June 1st, 2011, 10:47 am

Noel,

The iBootBar resources are all available in the resources section of the iBootBar Webpage.
iBootBar Resources click here

That being said, the iBootBar supports SNMP as a protocol. The MIB is available, and in the resources section there is a tool to allow batch file contol.

If you have written code for the older iPal product line, there is an alternative firmware that will allow the iBootBar to support the older TCP Protocol. there are some tradeoffs to allow this though, including the lack web page access.
Read More about iBootBar Precision code.
iPal Protcol for Precision only
RPS Protcol for Precision only
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Re: Where is the TCP control protocol for the iBootBar?

Postby Noel Grandin » June 17th, 2011, 11:00 am

Thanks Sam, that's useful.

Personally I would really like there to be a better option than SNMP/TELNET. I've implemented both personally, and both are painful.

It would be so much easier if the console program that you're using when doing TELNET access was also available on a raw TCP socket.
You probably do a minimal implementation just by hooking up the unix inetd daemon to activate your program.
That would effectively result in a much nicer ASCII protocol, with minimal coding effort.

OK, so I'm glossing over some details like logging in, which your console program does not currently implement :-)

Regards, Noel Grandin
Noel Grandin

Return to iBootBar