Sending commands via serial to iBootBar

Sending commands via serial to iBootBar

Postby murderous » January 21st, 2015, 11:34 am

Looking to send commands such as "set outlet 5 off" to the iBootBar from a Brightsign media player with serial a connection at certain times during a media file. I have the option to send the parameters (115,200, 8,N,1) and choose between String (EOL), String (non EOL) and HEX commands via serial to the iBootBar. I have yet to succeed in this endeavour and believe it is due to the login prompt that precedes and commands, are there any other considerations that I need to be aware of?

I know that I'm only able to connect via serial connection on my desktop terminal application by power cycling the device, is this is a consideration? i.e. Does the media player need to be on and connected prior to the iBootBar being plugged in to complete a handshake before I can start throwing commands at it?
murderous

Re: Sending commands via serial to iBootBar

Postby DP_Sam » January 21st, 2015, 12:39 pm

The iBootBar does not need to have the serial connection available before powering up.
You can access your serial port and connect to the iBootBar to control the power through the serial commands at any time.

The issue you are having is probably flow control or the login requirement.
The iBB does not use flow control, so be sure to disable it on the PC side.
(you can compensate with a serial cable that pulls DTR high on the PC side, but that's more involved)

Once connected, you send a return to initiate the login sequence. (Then the control.)

If serial control is all you need, you can change the firmware to the precision code that will allow serial port control without logging in.
The Manual for the Precision is available here:
The iBootBar support page has this link for the precision self extracting zip file with firmware loader, manual and all you need to downgrade.

Let me know if this version helps, or if you need more information after reading the manual. (page 12 for RPS protocol)
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Postby murderous » January 21st, 2015, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply Sam, I had loaded the Precision firmware as per another thread on this forum but found that I could not set up a cluster with this firmware loaded. I suppose I should have added the other layer of information that I have two iBootBars in a cluster with mirrored outlets for a two sided retail visual display so that when I send a command to turn group1 on, outlet 1 on both bars turns on. Is this possible with the Precision version? I was unable to send device commands to achieve this through telnet or serial.

Thanks again, love the product!
murderous

Postby DP_Sam » January 21st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Your right. The Precision code has some limitations.
One of which is there is no grouping, and no expansion support.

Have you tried a batch file or script to log in and send individual control?
    (Send enter key, then wait, then send admin, then wait, then send password, then wait, then send control.)
You get the idea, the batch file or script to allow multiple serial port commands to be sent with a delay for the response from iBB.

( I have never done this myself, it is an Idea I had )
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Postby murderous » January 21st, 2015, 2:48 pm

I have not, but this is an exciting idea and likely the route I'd prefer to follow. I will look through the Support section of the media player's website for documentation, your time is greatly appreciated.
murderous

Return to iBootBar