Products suggestiong: DNS and Wake On LAN

Moderator: DP_Sam

Products suggestiong: DNS and Wake On LAN

Postby jsmith » September 16th, 2015, 8:19 pm

I have just started using an iBoot-G2+ today, and have run into a couple complications.

The first is that the DHCP client on the iBoot does not register a hostname with the associated DNS server. In my enterprise environment, all my DHCP devices register with the DNS, so that I can reach them by hostname. I rarely need to actually assign a static IP to anything. I had assumed the iBoot-G2+ would do the same, but it does not. This leaves me with either the hassle of convincing my IT department I need a static IP, or just hoping the IP address doesn't change often using DHCP.

It would also be nice if I could send a Wake On LAN packet from the iBoot-G2+ from the web interface. The machine I would like to control requires a "soft" power button to be pressed after the power is cycled. I can use Wake On LAN, but for now I have to use another machine on the same subnet to send that packet, which is obviously not ideal.

If there is any way to resolve either of these issues using the currently available firmware, I would leave to hear about it!
jsmith

Re: Products suggestiong: DNS and Wake On LAN

Postby DP_Sam » September 17th, 2015, 8:38 am

The new iBoot-G2 code (1.30.162) should announce itself when using DHCP.
We are adding that feature as implemented into the new release of iBoot-G2+ code.
(That code is currently in test)

The "Wake on Lan" command is not as widely used.
Most customers can make a change in the BIOS of the PC to force the PC ON, when AC power is restored.

Can you email me a trace, or more information about the Wake on lan as you use it?
I will pass the request to the designer, and see if it can be implemented.
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Return to iBoot