Unable to update firmware on G2+

Moderator: DP_Sam

Unable to update firmware on G2+

Postby WITStim » August 1st, 2014, 3:16 pm

Hello,
I am trying to update the firmware on the iBoot G2+ v1.00.12, and have had no luck. I have set the IP to a static address, changed the admin password, checked the option 'Upgrade enable', and attempted to use the DMU to upgrade the firmware. From what I can tell there are bugs in the DMU application. I am using the only DMU version I can find on the website, v1.10.11.14. Here are my findings.

DMU won't ever find the unit if I use the 'device/discover' option. This will occur when the PC and iBoot are on the same hub, switch, and when they are direct connected using a crossover ethernet cable. If I use 'device/add', the iBoot is listed in the application under all circumstances.

Once I have the iBoot listed in the application, I use the 'manage/upgrade firmware' option. It pops up a dialog box with IP address, username, password, and file name options. No matter what the circumstance, the IP address option is never filled out, nor am I able to manually enter the IP address in that box. The IP address box is just always greyed out. I can enter the username, password, and file name fields appropriately, click Ok and it fails requesting I confirm the IP address, username, and password.

Please note I have reset the device to defaults multiple times to attempt to resolve this issue.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks.
Tim
WITStim

Re: Unable to update firmware on G2+

Postby DP_Sam » August 1st, 2014, 4:11 pm

I am sorry you are having issue with your unit, I am sure we can work it out.
    Version 1.10.11.14 is the correct and current DMU.

As you have surmised, the discover MUST find the unit in order to do the upgrade.
This is the best way to confirm the unit is local and can be upgraded.
    If you use device add, the unit may be behind a firewall, therefore the ipaddress is not filled out in the upgrade field.
The most likely cause for your unit not being discovered is the local ipaddress/interface of your PC.

The discover is a broadcast message, and as such must "go out" on the correct interface.
If your PC has more than 1 ipaddress, you can select the correct one within the DMU using "set local address"
Available interfaces will be listed within the pull down menu.

If your PC has only 1 interface, and is DHCP assigned, then you can not directly connect to the unit.
    Your PC will not be able to get an ip from your DHCP server.
In this case connect the unit to the same switch or network that is assigning your PC an ipaddress.

If you PC is statically assigned, then the discover should work when directly connected.
    Assuming it is the interface selected from within "set local ipaddress"
There is a video on the support page entitled getting started: http://www.dataprobe.com/support_iboot-g2-plus.html
    Skip ahead to 1:50 if you like

Once you can get the unit discovered, there is a second video there for firmware upgrade as well.

If you are still having issues, please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to work out why your unit is not being discovered.
Sam Savoye
Dataprobe Tech Support
SSavoye@Dataprobe.com
DP_Sam

Re: Unable to update firmware on G2+

Postby WITStim » August 1st, 2014, 4:22 pm

Sam,
Thanks, setting the correct interface address in the DMU did it.

At my work, we do not have the ability to view videos online, so I was relying on the PDF manual for instruction. I would suggest adding this information to the manual for us users without full access.

Thanks again.
Tim
WITStim

Return to iBoot